Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Various uses of the word ‘Have’

‘Project Smart English’
Shaping Young Minds

English perhaps is the only language in which a word can have many meanings thus causing great confusion especially for those who do not know all the meanings of such a word. The word ‘HAVE’ is a prime example of such words. Given below are seventeen ways in which this word can be used.

Various uses of the word ‘Have’


§  Receive:
             i.        I have just had a phone call. 
            ii.        I have had no word from him yet.
           iii.        I have no orders for that item yet.

§  Obtain
             i.        I was told, I could have that car for the asking.
            ii.        You can have that fridge for a song.

§  Activity
             i.        I will have shower first.
            ii.        I need to have a long holiday.

§  Suffer
             i.        I have had enough of her tantrums.
            ii.        I have had this pain for almost a year.

§  Accept
             i.        I told him I would return the loan in three days, but he would not have it.
            ii.        I would not have him ordering me about.
           iii.        He said he would not have his daughter return late at night.

§  Cause (to be done)
             i.        You need not come all the way; I will have the cheque collected from your office.
            ii.        I will have the van pick up you up from your house.
           iii.        I will have the papers ready in no time.

§  Experience
             i.        No, I did not have any problem finding your house.
            ii.        I have had a restful day.

§  Must
             i.        You will have to fill out that form first.
            ii.        The lodge is free, but you will have to pay for the board.

§  Indulge in/enjoy
             i.        Let us have a ball with the money.
            ii.        Let us have some fun teasing her.
           iii.        Let us have a high old time tonight.

§  Suggest
             i.        Rumor has it that he has it that he has run away with his friend’s wife.
            ii.        Legend has it that he killed a lion with his bare hands.

§  Get the better of
             i.        You have me there.
            ii.        They have him by throat.

§  Deceive
             i.        How could you pay such a price for that car? You have been had.
            ii.        You have paid very high price for this house. You have been had.

§  Eat/drink
             i.        I will have a cup of tea.
            ii.        I had a drink about an hour ago.
           iii.        I think I will have that dish again.

§  Settle
             i.        Let’s examine the accounts & have done with it

§  Harm
             i.        Kalyan Singh is convinced Mr. Vajpayee’s followers have it in for him.

§  Wear
             i.        She wants to have new dress.

§  Include/Contain
             i.        My house must have two floors.
            ii.        How many pages does this book have?

In English having mostly is used with the notion of indulging/enjoying & rarely with suffering.

Examples:
             i.        He is having a ball while his money lasts.
            ii.        She is interested in having good time.
           iii.        He is having it good.
          iv.        The children are having a whale of time in swimming pool.
            v.        He is having bath now.
          vi.        We are having our house painted.

Having is generally not used in suffering; like, He is having one of his bad days.


We conduct workshop on ‘English Improvement’ and many other soft skills improvement workshops for industries, educational institutes and individuals.


We also offer a few programs like ‘Shine under Stress (Strategies to Succeed in Exams)’, ‘Seven Laws of Teaching’, ‘Student’s Behavior Management’ etc. pro bono to educational institutes.

Our Classroom Programs
Spoken English, Business English, IELTS,
Personality Development, Summer Educamp (for Students)
Training Centers in Ahmedabad:
Maninagar  Usmanpura
Invitation for an Open Workshop
You are invited to an Open Workshop on ‘How to develop good personality and positive Attitude’ being organized on 4.4.2015 in our Maninagar Centre. You are invited to register you name for this workshop by sending your nomination at sarwansingh6644@gmail.com or smu2@ideaindia.org  or by sending an sms at 88666 80407 or 84870 60612


No comments:

Post a Comment